WorkBC Powell River Job Posting
Thanks for visiting and checking out our exclusive job postings.
How To Apply
|Education, experience and qualifications:
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent, related experience providing treatment services to individuals with mental health and/or substance use concerns.
- A combination of education, training and experience may also be accepted.
- Experience with trauma-informed care and demonstrated ability to practice from a harm reduction approach.
- Valid BC Driver's License and access to a personal vehicle for local area travel may be required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to promote Indigenous Cultural Safety .
- Demonstrated knowledge of the impact of colonization on Indigenous peoples.
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention, evidence-based pharmacological approaches to substance use treatment and recovery.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of psychiatric medications and their side effects.
- Basic knowledge of client-centered care and promoting independence.
- Basic knowledge of self-care and motivational support.
- Broad knowledge of community bed-based services, psychosocial and mental health resources available for clients experiencing concerns with their substance use.
- Broad knowledge of behavior management and ability to utilize non-violent crisis intervention strategies in a trauma informed manner.
Broad knowledge of facilitation, mediation, and conflict resolution techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a supportive, creative learning environment and continuous quality improvement.
- Knowledge in workplace violence prevention including personal safety techniques.
- Effective communicator with proficient use of nonverbal, verbal, and written styles in English language, when applicable
- Ability to operate a computerized client care information system and cellular phone.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), EMRs, or similar programs.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Requires Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Criminal Record Check clearance
Duties and Responsibilities
|Key Tasks and Competencies:
- Delivers direct health care to program clients who may be experiencing mental health concerns or clients in the process of withdrawal, stabilization or other addiction treatment programs by assessing client health status, observing, monitoring and evaluating client progress, symptoms and behavioral changes, reorganizing priorities, developing and revising care plans, and managing client’s medication, as required.
- Coordinates clinical activities including but not limited to the transitions between substance use services and community programs for clients in their early recovery journey.
- Recognizes and manages challenging client behaviors to maintain the safety of clients and staff, by using a trauma informed approach while adhering to established safety policies and protocols.
- Works collaboratively with other nursing staff, health care professionals and clients in supporting client substance abuse concerns, ethical dilemmas, coordinating and care across services and provides input into future treatment plan(s).
- Establishes, maintains and enhances therapeutic relationships and delivers care to assigned clients in accordance with care plans, performing some nursing duties such as taking and recording temperature, pulse and respiration, collecting specimens, weighing residents.
- Administers medications when required in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains records in accordance with established procedures and policies, and prepares/maintains statistical data, correspondence reports and other documentation, as required.
- Participates in interdisciplinary case conferences/team meetings, and collegially shares information, demonstrates and/or provides guidance on clinical/health related tasks.
- Promotes interdisciplinary collaboration in the identification and resolution of client care issues, treatment concerns, continuity of services, cultural and language barriers, ethical dilemmas, crisis management, and community resource coordination.
- Ensures a safe environment for clients and staff by adhering to violence prevention, infection control, occupational health and safety standards.
- Performs housekeeping duties as required, checks the operation of relevant equipment to ensure safe working order, and reports incident/equipment problems or general safety concerns to Supervisor.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements.
|Please read full job posting online
WorkBC Powell River posts this position as a free service for the community. WorkBC Powell River does not screen employers or applicants, and assumes no responsibility or liability for the job posting. Any arrangements are between the job seeker and the employer.