Career Link Job Posting
Thanks for visiting and checking out our exclusive job postings.
How To Apply
|- Formal post secondary accreditations (B.A. or higher) in Museum and/or Archival Studies, Heritage Resource Management, Heritage Conservation, or other related fields|
- Five years of working experience in the heritage sector with a minimum of four years in a supervisory role
- Minimum of two years of management experience including budget development and administration, and annual and strategic planning
- Previous experience in collections management, exhibition development, public programming and community outreach
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues and the legislative environment for museums, archives and built heritage conservation
- Outstanding written and oral communication and analytical skills that demonstrate the ability to be collaborative, inclusive and flexible
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with great attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite components, knowledge of servers, local area networks, computer security, and data backups; an understanding of collections management software
- Strong creative leadership and inter-personal skills
- Able to work flexible hours as may be required from time to time. Non standard work hours may be called upon on occasion
Duties and Responsibilities
|Heritage Manager Job Summary:|
- Reporting to the Chair to the Board of Directors of the Powell River Historical Museum & Archives Association
- The Heritage Manager functions as the Executive Director and is the public face of the organization
- The Museum, housed in three buildings with a staff of 4 and about 10 volunteers, includes the Historical Museum, the Forestry Museum, and the Archives
- The Manager ascribes to a holistic regional approach to heritage preservation
- The Manager works with the Museum Board, staff, the Tla’amin Nation, the Regional District of qathet, the City of Powell River, and community stakeholders to deliver an exciting vision for the future that preserves our cultural heritage and provides access to it for residents and visitors.
Reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Heritage Manager oversees the day to day administration of the Powell River Museum. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
1. Working with the Collections Manager; lead, direct and manage all staff, contractors, and volunteers in the day to day operation of the Museum, its facilities and its approved projects.
2. Support the Collections Manager in all facets of the collections, including research, programming, conservation and exhibitions.
3. Provide support to the Board in terms of routine operations including, but not limited to regular reports on Museum activities, budget preparation, policy development, annual planning, and human resources.
4. Ensure all relevant documentation is maintained for all aspects of the Association.
5. Working with the Museum Bookkeeper, oversee all day-to-day finances, budget allocations, and administrative reporting requirements including preparation and presentation of annual budget request and annual report to the Regional District.
6. Work with the Tla’amin Nation to partner on heritage preservation and presentation.
7. Negotiate contracts and grant agreements for the Museum.
8. Ensure a positive community profile for the Museum by providing access to the community’s tangible and intangible heritage; and through respect for all cultures.
9. Liaise with like minded organizations in the community and the region through conferences, workshops, webinars and other means available when time and funding permit.
10. Oversee health and safety for the Museum.
11. Other duties as assigned by the Board.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
To apply for this position
Please send an e-mail with CV, a cover letter and three references to: Bertfinnamore@powellrivermuseum.ca
Put Heritage Manager Position in the subject line
Career Link posts this position as a free service for the community. Career Link does not screen employers or applicants, and assumes no responsibility or liability for the job posting. Any arrangements are between the job seeker and the employer.