WorkBC Powell River Job Posting
Thanks for visiting and checking out our exclusive job postings.
How To Apply
|- Diploma in general and/or psychiatric nursing from a recognized school of nursing|
- Current registration with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)
- Graduate of an approved school of Nursing
- Valid Driver's License to operate a vehicle within BC
- Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle
- Flexibility to relocate
- Flexibility to work weekdays and weekends
- Recent one-year related experience working in an addictions environment with individuals with substance use disorders, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Duties and Responsibilities
|- Knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client and family-centred care model|
- Familiar with the basic foundations of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
- Clear understanding of BCCNM standards for psychiatric nursing practice
- Knowledge and understanding of mental illness and related treatments
- Knowledge and understanding of substance/alcohol use and current best practice treatments
- Knowledge and understanding of psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects)
- Knowledge and understanding of group facilitation skills (an asset)
- Experience facilitating group sessions (an asset)
- Knowledge and understanding of residential mental health and addictions treatment programs
- Knowledge and understanding of Meaning Therapy (an asset)
- Knowledge and understanding of adult education principles, methods and tools
- Demonstrated ability to conduct mental health assessments and provide treatment planning and crisis intervention
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of theory and practice to a case management process
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physician, other health care staff, and referring professionals in both one-on-one and in groups
- Demonstrated listening and information-seeking skills that promote communication and lead to a co-operative approach to problem-solving within a multidisciplinary setting
- Ability to identify workload priorities
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Interest and ability to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility to adjust to new or unexpected events
- Experience dealing effectively with conflict situations
- Prior knowledge and experience in the application of transcranial magnetic stimulation (an asset but not required)
- Proficient experience in the operation of an electronic medical record (EMR) system as well as word processing, spreadsheet, email applications, and other internet and cloud-based software
- Willingness to act as a client advocate, protecting and promoting the client’s right to autonomy, respect, privacy, dignity, and access to information
- Interest in research and quality improvement activities
|Sunshine Coast Health Centre (SCHC) and Georgia Strait Women's Clinic (GSWC) provide residential treatment for addictions, mental health, and trauma/PTSD/OSI for men and women in separate exclusive programs. We are licensed under the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, accredited under Accreditation Canada, and a Certified B Corp.|
Our multidisciplinary facilities are home to many different professionals such as MDs, psychiatrists, nurses, psychotherapists, social workers, case managers, and other specializing therapists. In order to ensure each of our clients’ care remains front and centre among more than 80 staff members who take care of more than 40 clients 24/7, we rely on Registered Psychiatric Nurses to case manage our client populations and be the bridge between our clinical and medical teams as well as other supporting departments such as Client Services, frontline, kitchen, and administration.
We are in the middle of an exciting change to update our clinical program format, which will result in smaller client care teams that consist of one psychotherapist (aka primary counsellor) and two RPNs. As a result, we need to add additional RPNs to our team!
The Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) is accountable for promoting high quality, evidence-informed, person-centered care through assessing, planning, implementing, documenting and evaluating the total care needs of their assigned client group. The RPN is required to coordinate with all the departments within the facility as well as referring professionals associated with each client’s care. The RPN must promote effective communication at SCHC and GSWC through care given and charting/reporting mechanisms. The RPN is expected to participate in staff meetings, case management meetings, and educational opportunities to maintain their own professional competence.
WorkBC Powell River posts this position as a free service for the community. WorkBC Powell River does not screen employers or applicants, and assumes no responsibility or liability for the job posting. Any arrangements are between the job seeker and the employer.